Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Spinning!

I learned how to spin yarn today, so that was exciting. Not that exciting though because I kind of suck at it so far. I learned on a drop spindle, and also got to spin a little on a wheel. Cheryl, the owner of my LYS was so nice. She let me borrow her drop spindle and offered to let me take home her spare wheel to practice on and see if I want to buy it. That makes me nervous though because it costs a lot of money and I wouldn't want anything to happen to it. I may take her up on it sometime though. She also gave me a bag fleece to practice with the spindle.


The brown was spun on the wheel. As you can see, neither one looks very good. But oh well.




So I bought this yarn today. It's Classic Elite Fame. I've never used it before, but it was half off at my LYS so I bought a few. It gave me the opportunity to use my brand new swift and ball winder too! Anyway, it is 85% Rayon and 15% Silk. So not the warmest stuff in the world, but I kind of wanted to knit something for my mom for her birthday in October with it. I just don't know what to knit that she might actually use this fall/winter. Any suggestions? I was considering using small glass opal beads with it, since that is her birthstone, and it would actually match the yarn really well. Hmm..



That's it for now, but I'll leave you with a picture of my boy Sir Mack. He looks so ashamed..

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blog looks good so far! It looks like you had a lot of fun learning how to spin, I haven't done that since a field trip in 4th grade.

Anonymous said...

Hey--I'm here from Craftster!

I think your mum's birthday yarn would look awesome in Interweave Knit's summer '07 Montego Bay Scarf. I know it's not wintery, but it'll sure look pretty!

Anonymous said...

I think the pattern would balance out--you can cast on however many stitches you want (as long as it's a multiple of 2 st + 7, which isn't that restricting) and go up a needle size or two (I think you can tell that I sort of... ignore gauge?).

Happy March said...

hey, which Austin Yarn store do you consider your LYS? I've been to all of them except for the Bluebonnet yarn shop, and haven't noticed roving in any.